The Peloric Princess

A Springtime Stroll.....

.....was filled with flowers and beautiful scenery at Roger's Gardens of Corona Del Mar. It was a perfect, sunny day and the spring blooms were showing in the gardens. My boyfriend had been telling me about this place for a while so we decided to visit and I've got to say, it was just perfect. We browsed the sections of roses, poppies, freesias, lettuce baskets, you name it, they had it!


When we came across a section of buildings with orchids displayed, I knew I had to stop in and pick one up. They had a lovely selection of phalaenopsis, and some oncidium intergenerics but nothing really caught my eye, especially since I had just picked up orchids yesterday. But as I did a final sweep of the store, I noticed a misplaced phal with some interesting petals...



The shape of the petals and the marking at the center are signs of peloria, where these parts of the bloom mimic the lip of the orchid's flower as opposed to the sepals. I'm an absolute sucker for peloric orchids so of course, the little peloric Princess had to be mine! And this little beauty is also a souvenir of a wonderful date so its even better. A wonderful memory and orchid!