The Spotted Fox

Eagerly Awaited

(flower ref)

I have been wanting this beauty since I first laid eyes on her on MissOrchidGirl's youtube channel. The beautiful Myrmecatavola Frances Fox 'Sun Spots' is a cross between Bc. Polka Dot ' Mardi Gras' (AM/AOS) and Schom. tibicinis. I had hoped to find her at the expo even though I knew finding this particular novelty breed would be unlikely. Even though no one had any available at the expo I didn't need to fear, Norman's Orchids had this plant listed on their website. I went in today after work and after a bit of confusion, I got my hands on my very own!

Here is this orchid's information, taken from the nursery's website:
This plant is a compact grower due to its Bc. Polka Dot parent which is ½ Brassavola nodosa, giving it a very clean and upright growth habit.  Producing 2-4 waxy fragrant flowers per inflorescence, this clone was originally developed for the Cattleya cut-flower market due to the longevity of its flowers.  Very weather tolerant, it can be grown outdoors in frost-free climates.




Sunspot is looking super healthy and seems to be in good shape. I asked Norman, who was helping me, for one that was growing in new roots since I would need to repot her right away (which confused him greatly). Unfortunately, since he grows outdoors in greenhouses, the orchids were all in various stages of winter growth and dormancy. None were really actively growing but the plant he grabbed me has one little root growing from what I believe is the newest growth. 

Norman recommended that I didn't repot this plant until she starts putting out some new growths. Since she's in sphagnum moss right now, I think it should be alright to wait. His orchids are really quality and I've never had any issues with his plants. He recommended watering once every other week until she's ready. Since I'm growing her indoors where its warmer and supplementing with grow lights, she should theoretically grow in the new shoots faster (I can't wait until April). I'll follow his advice to limit the shock to this orchid unless something major happens which forces a repot. Barring that, I hope she's happy in her new home and will give me some blooms next year!