Progress Update: Island Collection

My Island orchids are.....

.....on the proverbial island when it comes to the geography of my orchid collection. They are located next to the window in my bathroom, which is decorated with knick knacks and posters from my visits to Hawaii. They are far away from the heat control and humidifier that I have in the main living area but seem to be thriving regardless of the less than optimal conditions.


#2 is still sailing.....

.....along to its adaption and steadily, if a bit slowly, putting out new roots. She is also in spike at the moment but there hasn't been much growth there which is fine with me. I want these roots to start filling in and adapting to the medium so that she can really take off in growth.



#1 has finally started acclimatizing.....

..... and shown some very promising signs of growth. Her top, newest leaf has been coming along nicely for a while but I hadn't been seeing any root development. The leaf itself is a little red from her new location in a sunnier spot but its nothing to worry about since she's in no danger of sunburn. 

But now her roots are finally starting to warm up and I have seen an explosion in activity. Her existing aerial root is putting out a new tip and brand new roots are starting to come from the base of the plant. On the left, the progress is obvious and there was another little surprise, the beginnings of what I believe is a flower spike! Now this is a very pleasant surprise indeed! I'll watch this orchid's progress to make sure the spike isn't taking up too much energy from the orchid's root production but this is such a great sign.

On her other side, there is more signs of root development and something that's got me a bit confused. On the left I can definitely see a new root starting to grow out. But the white areas, circled in blue, which used to be flat have suddenly turned into bumps. I'm curious to see if they will be turning into roots or if something else is occurring here. I used to think they were just scratches, maybe some shipping damage. I guess I will have to wait and see.