SVO Open House: Peter's Orchids

Orchid Friends from a Friend!

While I was attending the SVO open house, I knew I would be seeing my friend, Peter, who keeps a large part of his collection at the nursery. He was happy to trim his collection down and sell a few of his plants to a friend in need of more! More want than need to be truthful I guess. I bought six orchids from him and he threw in a gift as well. What a wonderful day! I ended up walking away with seventeen new orchid additions, two of which were gifts!

*all photos are references unless otherwise stated


LAKE
  Lc. Lake Tahoe 'Blue Sky'

pic taken 07/04/2018; bought in bud
A very healthy, beautiful plant that came in bud and is now in full bloom. Fragrant blooms are huge on comparison to a very compact growing plant.

APOLLO
Encyclia cordigera var alba 'Henrique'

A big, bushy, handsome beauty came with three maturing growths and at least half a dozen mature pseudobulbs. I'm looking forward to see this orchid bloom and put out some interesting fragrance.

BLUEJAY
 Neostylis Lou Sneary 'Bluebirds'

One on the wishlist for a while now for those eye-catching 'blue' edged blooms, this orchid is a gorgeous neofinetia hybrid and the one I received for Peter is a large size for this type of orchid. She even has a small keiki growing out at the lower part of the axis. I hope to watch it develop! 

FLAMINGO
Neofinetia falcata 'benisuzume' 

I knew I wanted a pink neofinetia and this was the one Peter recommended- the pink species type of neo-the 'benisuzume'! If she's anything like my other two neofinetia's, she will do marvelously in semi-hydro.

MILADY
Rhyncholaelia Aristocrat 

This frilly lipped beauty is another I was thinking about adding to my collection for a while. Norman's has some bare root divisions available but when Peter showed me this one, I knew I had to get her. This lovely lady is mature with two newly matured bulbs and hopefully some new growths on the way.

MARU
Sedirea japonica 'Minmaru Shima'

pic taken 06/26/2018; variegated, bean-leaf variety 
The most expensive orchid I own so far but worth every penny in my book. Despite the big cost, the orchid himself is teeny-tiny. This is a gorgeous variegated variety of the sedirea japonica and I fell in love as soon as I saw him.

LEMONA (gift)
Sedirea japonica x Vpa. Little One


The gift from Peter is one I'm eagerly awaiting to see in bloom. Its one of Peter's personal hybrids so I'm looking forward to see how she looks. He is hoping for yellow blooms with the sedirea barring and lip. The fragrance would be a pleasant carryover as well. I can't wait to see how she turns out!