Progress Update: Pink Wednesday, Pixie, Coco

Growing Nubbins


Community Pot: schilleriana-hybrids
Phalaenopsis Noid + Phalaenopsis Wenlong 'Pink Girl' (x2)

One of the first orchids I had ever bought from Norman's nursery, this medium sized phalaenopsis noid (which I suspect is a schilleriana hybrid) makes up the middle of Pink Wednesday (a community pot). She has been doing well in the last month and has put out plenty of new roots. While watering, I also happened to notice this little surprise! A basal keiki has popped up seemingly overnight and has two leaves already! Wow! I'm so excited to see how this will work out with the smaller schilleriana hybrids that are in the pot with her. What a wonderful development!



Wilsonara Opalescent 'Snow Pixie'

Here is one of the orchids that I bought from the expo back in February that wasn't in great shape. Poor Pixie only had two pseudobulbs when I bought her and they were both pretty shriveled. Her roots were in much better shape so I repotted her two little hopes of recovery. But she has come a long way since then has finally started to give me some sign of hope. She had put out a couple of tiny new roots a long way back after I had to remove most of her old ones.



Maxillaria tenuifolia

This was a great surprise as well since I have had this orchid for barely a month as a bare root division. Since I potted Coco into leca, she has some new roots bursting from the sheaths down at the level of the medium where it stays more moist. She has four new growths popping up in various areas at various levels of the pseudobulbs which is incredibly exciting! The existing pseudobulbs have shown no sign of stress of shriveling which is great. I think this is one of those orchids that adapts immediately to semi-hydro. I'm thinking that I'll be seeing some blooms before the end of the year!