Progress Update: Dove, Minnie

Amazing Adaption to Semi-Hydro

Here are some more great examples of orchids that are adapting to semi-hydro with minimal stress and almost no setback!

Neofinetia falcata noid


What a total surprise from this little orchid! My white noid neofinetia has been putting out roots basically as soon as I repotted her after the expo back in early February of this year. I was charmed by the fact that the growing root tip is purple, rather than the typical bright green. Apparently Dove is doing well enough to start putting out a flower Spike or new growth for me on her biggest fan! This chubby little nubbin is such exciting news and I'm happy to say she's going to be just fine! 

I don't have much experience yet with this species of orchid so I'll have to wait for it to grow a little bigger before I'll be sure what that nubbin is. Either way is a wonderful sign that this is one happy plant. Her neighbor, Canary, my yellow neofinetia, is also currently putting out tons of new roots so with any luck she'll be where Dove is soon enough!


Phalaenopsis (Timothy Christopher x minus)


Now I wasn't sure how this miniature novelty phalaenopsis was going to do since I repotted her a month ago after buying her from Norman's nursery. She seemed like a healthy plant with a beautiful root system that was growing in a relatively new plug of sphagnum moss. I was hoping the transition from a wet medium to a wet medium would be gentle and I was right! The stress was so minimal that Minnie didn't lose a single flower after the repotting. In fact, she is doing so well that she has been putting out new buds on her existing flower spikes. Her secondary spike is even branching at a lower node, making this orchid vary floriferous! I'm excited to see how she does going forward but so far, everything is looking wonderful for this little lady.