Progress Update: Sunspot, Freckles, Maihime, Glow

Roots Galore!

The orchids that I purchased at the expo have been repotted just under a month ago now and I'm seeing some promising signs of growth in quite of few of them. I would like to note that half of the orchids that are showing recovery are placed on the heat mat under an LED bulb.


Sunspot

 This orchid was repotted a few days later than the expo orchids, since I bought her separately from Norman's orchid nursery. With the heat mat and supplemental lighting, she is doing brilliantly and well on the way to establishing herself now. She's growing in half a dozen roots right now and an eye toward the older bulbs is swelling and growing. I'm not sure of the eye pictured here will swell up as well but I'm hoping it will! Overall, Sunspot is doing really well, with almost no shriveling yet in her pseudobulbs.

Freckles

Freckles is one of the orchids not placed on the heat mat. This is because after doing some research into the heritage of this hybrid, I found these types of dendrobiums prefer keeping more intermediate temperatures. I decided the weather in my area is mild enough that the temperature of the moist air/medium would be better off without any added heat and keep the roots happy. My decision paid off and the small new growth this plant originally came with continued to grow steadily over the last month without a hiccup despite the repotting. Now that new growth has started to put out some brand new roots and they are looking beautiful and healthy.


Maihime

 My suspicions about Maihime continues to solidify. I was feeling so unsure in the beginning because this cane pictured above seemed to be growing in 3 brand new growths! I wanted to wait and let them grow a bit before I could say what these little nubbins are for sure but I do believe that they are new growths. It would be amazing if I could get all three to mature, the flower show would be amazing! The one maturing growth she came with seems to slowly continue its growth so I'm hoping to see some new roots soon. Apparently being on the heat mat has really helped her out.


Glow

This cute little hybrid has been started putting out 4 new roots! She seems to be doing pretty well on my shelf facing a western window, despite my suspicions that it wouldn't be bright enough for this sun-loving cattleya hybrids. Glow came with two maturing growths, one of which doing spectacularly, while the other (which is located just under a larger leaf) isn't growing in as quickly.


Nebula

While I couldn't get a proper picture because Nebula had come out of her pot a bit during the watering, I wanted to mention her in this post because she has a brand new root coming in! I needed to repot her and spotted a tiny green nubbin close to the base of the plant. I couldn't be more delighted! I had to cover it up under the leca to stabilize the orchid but its a great sign that she is doing well. She had a maturing growth that has continued slowly to grow and I'm hoping to see roots come from the maturing cane soon.