Progress Update: Freckles, Sunspot, Glow

Some new developments.....

were discovered during the weekly flushing today. My expo orchids are all kind of in various stages of growth and adaptation to the repot but for the most part they seem to be doing well. I'm seeing some promising signs:

Freckles


My dear little Freckles came with a small nubbin of a maturing growth when I first purchased him at the beginning of February. Actually he had two but one of them was starting to rot when I took a closer inspection but I was fine with that as long as his remaining growth was undamaged and look how it has grown over the last month! The bulb seems to be growing in without any issues despite the repot. I also happened to notice something nestled within the depths of the pseudobulbs:


A teeny tiny little nubbin of new growth! It seems Freckles is doing just fine and adapting like a champ to semi-hydro. He is a dendrobium so I placed him under my bright LED grow light and he seems to be happy with the arrangement so far. The question now is if this cane will bloom once it matures. I'm dying to find out!


Sunspot


One of my larger orchids is showing constant signs of improvement since coming into my care. Despite being in dormancy when I purchased this gem, Sunspot is doing marvelously. The bright LED light and warmth from the heat mat have triggered her growth cycle and her roots have burst into activity without signs of slowing down even after the repot. Her swelling eye and grown into a beautiful little growth that I'm eager to watch mature. I wonder if this bulb will be any smaller than her older bulbs since there was probably some shock from changing mediums but she hasn't really shown much distress so there is a chance this bulb will eventually bloom. Fingers crossed for the fall!


Glow


Glow is another cattleya that seems to have taken to semi-hydro without a single hiccup. She came with two small maturing growths and one of them is growing much faster than the other because of this bulb's access to sunlight. This hybrid is bifoliate so I am eager to watch the second leaf develop from the bulb. Her other growth is still growing, just at a more sedate place from its place in the shadow of a larger pseudobulb. This is another orchid that has a good chance of blooming once the bulbs are matured. I'm excited to see what happens.