Progress Update: Firefly, Scarlet, Ember

Some wonderful developments.....


among the Klimt Collection including one of the oncidiums that I was quite worried about. I'm seeing some root growth and overall improvement in all of these orchids.

Firefly is absolutely bursting into root growth right now and I am amazed! 

She was the oncidium I received through an ebay purchase along with several other intergenerics. She has only a couple viable roots so I put her in the test group for the Tea Bag Treatment. The bulbs didn't unshrivel noticeably over the three days I treated her, but I started to see a couple little roots starting to poke out so I decided to pot her back up. 

Its been a couple days since then and now I have roots exploding everywhere! There are at least half a dozen that have grown in just few days which is such progress since she really didn't do anything since coming into my care with shriveled bulbs.

If she is anything like the other oncidiums in my collection, she will be just fine. Once those roots reach the moister layers of leca underneath, this orchid will be well on the way to recovery. 



This was quite a surprise development, so much so that I waited a couple days to report this in a post but I want to say that Scarlet, my first and only miltoniopsis, seems to be recovering. 

I want to cautiously say that she seems to be adapting to repot without stress or dieback. I say cautiously because I haven't seen any new roots growing out, but this is just from my view at the top of the pot. I did notice, through the transparent side of the pot, that one of her older roots has grown a new tip and its getting longer. I'm hoping this will only progress onward and she will continue with her root development. 

Her existing flower spike hasn't grown since she's come into my care but it hasn't staled either which is good. I don't really care about getting blooms right away since I would rather have a healthy, well established plant first. But with any luck, she will get keep getting better and continue to grow both the spike and strong, healthy roots. I had no idea what to expect since I have read on many forums that this variety of orchid could be hard to keep alive and very finicky but she seems to be happy so far. Its early in her development yet so something may come up, but this little root tip seems promising!




Now this was a lovely little surprise! Ember, who had been doing so well before seems to be faltering a little bit. Those roots that were bursting out seem to have slowed and the green tips have all but disappeared. I realized afterward that when I made a separate nutrient solution, the ppm was too high and I burned those root. Yikes! But there is a new sign of hope- this tiny little nubbin of new growth! Wow am I excited! She had only a single new growth coming in toward the front of the plant that has been slow to grow in but now she has another. I hope those roots will wake up again and start growing out and into the pot. Ember has such a beautiful spray of flowers, I hope I get to see some next year!