Progress Update: Sweet Sugar Twins, Baby Blue, Godiva

My oncidiums are showing tiny signs.....

.....of actual growth! For weeks now, my Sweet Sugar twins, Buttercup and Butterscotch have been sulking in their pots. Their pseudobulbs have shriveled and both of them dropped a couple leaves. Butterscotch, who I thought was doing better of the two, seemed okay since not all of her pseudobulbs are shriveled and she had a new growth coming in before the repotting. Apparently, she wasn't doing as hot as I thought because that new growth went mushy and had to be removed. 

But to my surprise during the flushing session, I noticed both orchids seems to be putting out new growths! Butterscotch (left) has put out what looks like a tiny new growth on the older, wrinklier bulb next to the one the just lost the old growth. 

Buttercup (right) didn't have any new growth before she was broken off. She is the more dehydrated of the twins and has shriveled all of her bulbs. This tiny new growth is such a great sign. As it grows, it will put out a new root system and hopefully stabilize the plant. I also hope the bulbs will eventually unshrivel and become plump again. I hate to see her so wrinkly and sad.


Baby Blue is growing green.....

.....little roots from her keiki! I see two root tips coming from the smaller plant which is fantastic news since Baby Blue has taken a while to bounce back. She lost 2 leaves already and looks like she might be losing one more before she's settled.

The root tip from the mother plant is coming in nicely and when i peeled back a bit of dried sheathing, I found yet another little root tip forming on the keiki. 

She finally seems to be recovering for the repotting I'm glad to say. I don't know how the roots inside the pot are doing. The ones I can see from the side are definitely molding so I know those are goners. I'm curious to know if any survived.

I didn't repot Baby Blue with the other phals during the Final Repot, mostly because I spotted the root tips during the flushing session. I wanted to give her some time to grow those in a little before I give her one last repot. I know I will need to go in there eventually and cut away all the rotting roots but for now she seems like she's bouncing back. I'll leave her to it until those roots get to maybe about 1" long to give her a little stability.

Godiva is doing divine.....

.....since she's gotten over her sulking period. She is very focused on growing now as I've seen from the development of her new growths. They've been growing steadily since I noticed them and now there is no question in my mind these are brand new growths! The roots growing in on the old growth are going strong down into the medium.

She has only lost the one older growth which is perfectly fine because she currently has three, count them, three new growths coming in.
Her two, larger, older growths seemed to have picked up where they left off and are growing again. The smaller of the two has a bit of accordianing on one of her leaves but its grown out smooth since. The largest, older growth has none of that pattern and is instead growing some brand new roots.

Godiva, I'm relieved to say, is acclimating very well to her new home and seems like she will be just fine from now on. I was really worried for a little while there since she was so quick to lose leaves and that growth. She has since done very well and I can't wait to see what happens when she finally establishes herself. Its going to be a beautiful display if all of those new pseudobulbs mature together. Here's hoping before next year!