Progress Update: Control Orchids: Plum, Ember, Ganache

It's been 2 weeks since I visited Orchid Fever.....

.....and brought home my control orchids. I purposefully bought one oncidium and one phalaenopsis to see how these plants did in comparison to the ones I already have in my collection which are under more stress. I didn't realize it at the time but I had bought the perfect specimens for this experiment since both were actively growing roots, which is a necessity when repotting. I repotted both orchids that day, as well as a bonus Sharry Baby I couldn't resist buying. All orchids were in spike. 

During these two weeks, I've been observing these orchids closely to see how they fared in a new environment and a change in medium when they were healthy and happy to begin with. The results have been a little surprising but also promising.


 Pretty little Plum.....



 .....my no ID mini phalaenopsis, is doing the best out of the three. I clipped her flower spike the same night I repotted and let her do her work. She has definitely suffered a bit since the transition since her perky leaves are looking a bit dehydrated and leathery. But in the last day or two she's really shown some solid signs of improvement. Her roots are showing signs of activity. I've got one of her old, burned roots growing in new tip (yellow circle).

The other picture shows what I think, or would like to think, is a new root but the color of the growth is dark so I may be wrong.  It might be another flower spike forming, since I clipped the old one back, but I'm hoping it isn't. Its not the appropriate shape and not in the usual location for a new flower spike. I want roots on this orchid and a spike wouldn't be great timing right now. I'll have to see how it develops but its a promising start for this mini!

The Intergenerics are not doing as well.....

.....which is a little surprising to me. I thought it would have been the other way around but hey, that's why I'm doing these control experiments. Both Ganache (Oncidium Sharry Baby) and Ember (Onsidiae Volcano Midnight 'Volcano Queen') had beautiful, healthy root systems before the repot. They are doing alright so far in that neither systems are rotting or showing signs of decay.

Ember.....
who started with a multitude of plump pseudobulbs, has since shriveled significantly. Every single one of her bulbs has wrinkled and several of her leaves have yellowed. Her spotting hasn't gotten any worse and after talking to my more experienced orchid growing friend, it will just be the typical freckling that happens to intergenerics.

I did have a freak out moment earlier today when I was pulling back some of the dying and rotting sheaths during the flushing. There was some sort of movement after I peeled back a molding sheath and what looked like the back of a slimy worm-like bug receding into the roots and darkness. I sprayed the area liberally with hydrogen peroxide, then my pest solution just to be sure. I hope I was able to kill off whatever it was, I really didn't get too good of a look.


Ganache..... 
on the other hand isn't shriveling as badly as Ember, but I am seeing some amount of wrinkling on her larger pseudobulbs. I cut both of their flower spikes at the same time but Ganache seems to be doing better between the two. Her roots are looking good and none of her leaves have yellowed so far which I will take as a good sign.

I think she's just sulking a bit after the medium change, so hopefully she'll start actively growing again sooner than later. I'll be watching the pseudobulbs to see if they wrinkle any further.