Progress Update: Ganache

My sweet treat, Ganache.....

.....has, in the last week, burst into activity! Just a week ago I was wondering if she would continue to deteriorate. Her bulbs have been showing the telltale ribbing and wrinkling that happens when roots rot and the plant isn't getting enough water. I knew she would be sulking for a while but look at that, she has started to bounce back.


When I bought her about three weeks ago at Orchid Fever, she was looking big, bushy, and beautiful with plenty of fat pseudobulbs and lots of new growths growing in. Her root system was healthy and very extensive so I had high hopes for her recovery.

My faith has paid off because look at all this brand new root activity. I see brand new roots starting their little nubbins all over the place! I'm happy to say Ganache hasn't lost a single growth, and even though I haven't seen any new growth since she has come into my care, I'm pretty sure she will put some out when she is good and ready.

Ganache only lost one maybe two pseudobulb leaves during the acclimatizing process and a few roots seem to have rotted (some aerial roots are molding) but the vast majority of her roots seem okay for now.

I'm so happy she's showing signs of recovery and now she's on her way to become a happy, established plant. Its quite interesting that she has shown so much activity in such little time while Godiva, who was repotted a few weeks earlier, is just showing signs of recovery only now. As far as this control test has gone, I believe its safe to say that unstressed, growing orchids acclimate much faster with less signs of distress than my original orchids. Lesson learned!