Introductions Are In Order

I wasn't sure about this guy.....

.....when I got him at Choi's Orchids where I picked up my first ever dendrobium nobile and oncidium (Sweet Sugar twins before dividing). Angel, a Fancy Angel 'Lycee', caught my eye because he was so different from the only orchids I owned, the common phalaenopsis. The tall, thick canes, and plentiful soft leaves were so striking and pretty I couldn't help but want him. So I bought both plants and took them home.


When I did some research, I found out that dendrobium nobiles need a winter rest and go somewhat dormant in the winter time. I wasn't happy about this when I found out. I have a limited amount of space for growing these orchids since I do it in my home and one of my goals for this hobby is to have blooms as often as possible. With these types of orchids needing a winter rest would mean they are seasonal, like the phalaenopsis. Unlike the phalaenopsis, they would require a different type of care. 

But my change to semi-hydro changed most of the points against keeping this orchid. The blooms were so big and beautiful with mildly sweet, floral fragrance. I actually left this guy in his original pot while he was blooming and I was thinking it over. But when my Twinkles came, I repotted him too and my goodness! It was perfect timing!


His roots are growing in beautifully all over the place. Here look at this little nubbin, I caught him right as he started a new growth. It was just perfect. I decided after seeing how the timing aligned and since he is a lovely specimen, I will keep him in my collection and give the nobiles a try.