Progress Update: Nani, Scarlet

Beautiful Growing Roots!

Here are some pictures of more of my orchids' roots growing steadily into the pot. Both of these orchids were bought online in the same order and were both repotted at the same time into semi-hydro. They weren't bothered by the new medium and the leca actually seemed to be an upgrade for these plants since they adapted with no sign of setback. They are doing so fantastically that I wanted to show off these roots:

Nani

(Leomesezia Lava Burst 'Puanani')


This oncidium intergeneric orchid, reclassified from Howeara, has been doing fantastically and after a brief pause in growth when I first received her back in February of this year. Her roots have reached the reservoir and she is growing in a new growth quickly. I'm excited to see if I will get any blooms once that bulb matures and with any luck she will get bushy pretty quickly. 


Scarlet

(Miltoniopsis Bert Field 'Leash')


Now this orchid was a complete surprise since I was expecting the worst and got the best possible results so far! Miltoniopsis are notoriously finicky in the orchid hobbyist world. They prefer cool, wet conditions which I think I achieved for Scarlet. She also paused in growth right after the repotting into leca but between the damp, airy leca and the evaporative cooling of the medium, the roots have taken off in terms of growth. Those roots are branching and filling in the pot at a good rate and she has two growths maturing well. She came with a flower spike on her newest pseudobulb which hasn't grown at all but also hasn't staled or yellowed either. I'm curious as to what she's going to do with that spike but I'm just relieved Scarlet is doing so well. With any luck those roots will be established enough to survive the hottest part of summer!