Hawaiian Beauty

Kawamoto Orchids

I've been wanting this particular dendrobium for a few months now, ever since I saw these blooms while I was searching through Ebay. The way the blushing pink color flushes the tips of the petals and sepals is just so beautiful and the color is soft but so striking. I fell in love but at the steep cost of $40 for the orchid, I wasn't sure I wanted it buy it right away. I checked out the other orchids that Kawamoto Orchids was selling but nothing else really called out to me. I understand the overnight shipping is included in the cost of the orchid which comes all the way from Hawaii, an orchid haven. Factoring that in helps ease the burn of this on my wallet but still, not a cheap plant by any definition.


But I have got to admit it was money well spent when I got the orchid within a day of it being shipped out to me. It took a few days to process since Hawaii has incredibly strict rules about the import and export of live plants and animals due to the delicate nature of the island habitats. The orchid I received is in wonderful condition despite slight shipping damage on one of the leaves. Despite coming from overseas, the flower spike and buds are all in pristine condition and with any luck I won't lose too many as Blush acclimates to her new conditions.


 I had requested of the vendor for a plant in new root growth, and that I didn't care about the blooms. The family at Kawamoto Nursery was nice enough to send along a plant that had both new roots and buds! Amazing service and a beautiful plant! I am a very happy lady!

This dendrobium phalaenopsis type orchid is an evergreen type which means no winter rest and in combination with these beautiful blooms, I consider her a showstopper. I'll be repotting her soon which makes me sad since I fear she'll lose the spike but since those roots are coming in right now, this is the best time to do it. I hope to get her adapting soon and with any luck blooming by next year!