Progress Update: Nani, Dove, Scarlet

Roots Galore!


Here is an orchid that actually adapted really well to the semi-hydro repotting. Nani, my Leomesezia (reclassified from Howeara ) Lava Burst 'Puanani' was just a single maturing growth that I received from an online order. None of her roots showed any sign of decomposition and she eventually started growing in her first pseudobulb. Roots are bursting into activity inside the pot and now I can see a tiny new growth nubbin forming at the base of the plant. Nani is doing great and depending on how long it takes for her to establish, I may get some flowers in a year or two.




My only neofinetia falcata, Dove, has finally stopped sulking and shown me some signs of root growth. She has half a dozen purple root tips coming in and and growing vigorously now that she has started to recover. Only two of her four fans are connected and I have a suspicion one of them isn't even from the same plant. I will have to wait and see. 




Despite my fears, Scarlet, my first miltoniopsis, is doing well in recovery form the repotting. She's lost a couple of her aerial roots but the ones inside the pot seem to be branching and growing new root tips. I am seeing some root activity from the top of the pot as a couple growths continue to mature. If I can get her through the hottest months of summer this year, I think she will be okay. Its a waiting game to see if she declines over time but I'm hoping the semi-hydro setup will keep her happy. So far so good here!