Progress Update: Bellas, Violettas

The Community Pots


I have two community pots: one with two mini phalaenopsis, and one with three medium phalaenopsis. Each are in front of a west-facing window and have been showing some interesting developments.

The Bellas, which consist of my original three phalaenopsis when I started my collection of orchids, is doing very well. All three went into spike this year but only one adapted to the repotting without root loss. I clipped the two spikes and let the plants concentrate on root growth which has been steadily growing in. The one spike I didn't cut has grown beautifully and is budding right now. 


The phal in spike seems to be doing well despite dividing her resources to both that spike and her root system. I'm excited to see what these blooms will look like once they open. I 'm excited to watch my first rebloom. The spike is so perfectly arched and pendant, I'm going to make sure I do this with all my larger phalaenopsis. I have been rotating her pot according to how I wanted the spike to grow since it will always try to face toward the light source. I was able to keep the arch of the spike within the radius of her leaves which keeps the space she's up to a minimum. A bonus to this way of shaping the spike is that her flowers will be displayed pendantly which, in my opinion, is the best way for this type of orchid. 

I clipped back the spikes on both of the mini phalaenopsis that make up the Violettas when I repotted each plant individually. Despite my actions, neither of these orchids were deterred and proceeded to put out new flower spikes. Oh how the complex hybrids always like to throw in a surprise or two for the growers. One of the orchids adapting beautifully to the repotting and has minimal root loss. The other one is noticeably dehydrated and stressed. Despite that, she still put out that spike.


It's very apparent from the picture which is which. The orchid that is healthy is doing so well that her secondary flower spike is branching from the lowest nodes! This little plant is just so robust and vigorous. The top phalaenopsis though, is visibly suffering and is struggling to adapt. Her root loss was pretty bad and while she is growing in new roots, her energies are divided. But I have selected not to cut the spike again but let her do what she wants. I can see new roots emerging from her axis in several locations so there is a good chance her root system will grow in and she will recover. I want to see if this orchid can do that and sustain a flower spike. If she decides to stale the spike on her own then no worries, but I'm curious to see if she can pull through with both. These complex hybrids are bred and cultivated to be hardy and resilient. I'm going to put that to the test here. Let's watch what happens.